The following are our revised policies. There have been a number of important changes, so please review carefully. You can download a pdf copy by clicking here.
DAAYO offers a wonderful opportunity for young musicians to develop their instrument skills and learn about the art of ensemble playing. An orchestra is a team that needs every player to pull their own weight. To accomplish this, all musicians must be committed to the program and adhere to the following:
- Appropriate behavior and discipline during rehearsals and performances.
- Full attention to the conductors and respect towards conductors, coaches, staff, volunteers, private property and fellow musicians.
- Arrive prepared for rehearsals: practice at home, work with private teachers as needed.
- Arrange activities to avoid conflicts with rehearsals and performances.
It is imperative that each member of the orchestra attend every rehearsal for the entire rehearsal period in order to develop and produce a musical product of the highest quality. DAAYO has an absence policy that allows no more than six (6) absences for the entire year and allows no more than two (2) absences per concert period (see rehearsal/concert schedule).
· If a musician has more than two (2) unexcused absences (excluding school events, emergencies, or illness) per concert period, he or she may not be prepared to play his/her part(s) for the concert. If the conductor deems that the musician is not yet prepared for a concert due to excessive absences, the musician may not be permitted to perform in the concert.
· If a member knows that they will be absent at any DAAYO rehearsal or performance, they will need to fill out and send in an absence form. Absence forms are available at rehearsals or can be downloaded from DAAYO’s website. The form must be signed by the musician’s parent and sent to the admin team at least 2 weeks before the absence.
· The habit of arriving early for rehearsal is expected of every musician. Rehearsals must begin on time with everyone present. Students must arrive 15 minutes before rehearsal starts. Attendance will be taken at the beginning of each rehearsal. Anyone not present when attendance is taken will be considered tardy. Conductor reserves the right to ask the tardy students to sit through the session without playing until after intermission. If a member is tardy because of an event, they will need to fill out an absence form two weeks in advance.
· No running in the rehearsal facility.
- DAAYO reserves the right to restrict concert participation or to terminate any member's membership due to excessive absences, tardiness, leaving a rehearsal without permission, or misbehaving during rehearsals.
- To facilitate a proper environment for music learning, no food, beverages, or anything unrelated to rehearsal are allowed.
- Please turn off the cell phones during the rehearsals.
- All members are expected to behave maturely and quietly during all rehearsals.
- Please bring a pencil and an eraser in every rehearsal to write down the instructions from the conductor or the coaches.
- All members are expected to return to their seats promptly after the break.
Dress Rehearsal/Concert Policy:
- No food, beverages, or anything unrelated to rehearsal are allowed on concert stage.
- All cell phones must be turned off and left in dressing room or with parents during performance.
- All members are expected to arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled dress rehearsal time. Tardiness or absence is subject to discipline and may result in terminating the member’s membership.
- If members cannot attend the concert due to an illness, important event, or emergency, please inform the DAAYO staff or the conductor as soon as possible
- All members must follow instructions on where to stay and what to do prior to and after the group's performance. Exiting unescorted or unexcused beyond designated area is prohibited. Under no circumstances should any member wander off, play in hallway, or leave the building.
- Members and their parents are expected to stay through the entire concert.
- Dress Code: Member should look and be professional and take pride in the group by conforming to the standards and dress code of DAAYO. The DAAYO dress code is designed to be consistent with the traditions and practices of other professional orchestras. Please keep in mind that performer who is out of compliance may be restricted from playing in the concert.
- Black suit or matching black jacket and dress pants
- Long sleeved white tuxedo shirt (YO: White long sleeved dress shirt)
- Black bow tie
- Black Cummerbund (YO: Not required)
- Black shoes
- Black socks
Note: All clothing should fit the member properly. Sleeves and pant legs should be of proper length and fit. Shirts should be ironed and wrinkle free. Cummerbund should be worn with the pleats facing upward. Shoes should be clean and polished.
- Solid black ankle length one piece long dress with sleeves or two piece black blouse with sleeves with T-length skirt or longer(covers knees while seated), no accent colors.
- Black dress shoes
- Black panty hose
- Cello players may wear sleeved black blouse with black slacks. Black knee high socks are allowed for cello players wearing pants.
Note: All skirts, blouses and pants should be solid black with no colored designs or decorations. All clothing should be of proper length and fit. All clothing should be ironed and wrinkle free. No flip flops or athletic shoes. Shoes should be clean and polished.
Annual Membership Fee Payment Policy:
Based on the current organization development requirement, the Board has decided that the “Annual (2 semesters) membership fee” is the only method to pay the tuition. Semester payment, installation payment, and other alternatives are currently unavailable. The PO (Philharmonic Orchestra) dinner money can be partially refunded on the basis of 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 of total amount. The annual membership fee is non-refundable after the third rehearsal.
For the following special circumstances, the members/parents may apply for the approval of “Hardship Refund”:
- Parents have to move out of Texas back to home country.
- Parents encounter financial difficulty because of job loss.
- Students discontinue school due to health problem.
Insurance and Other Restrictions
DAAYO does not provide the following insurance coverage for its members:
- Medical and accidental;
- Damage to any concert hall or rehearsal facility (such as church or school) property or musical instrument caused by related individual(s); and
- Personal safety.
It is recommended that members stay inside the building during break and be picked up by their parents immediately after the rehearsal. Music folder must be returned at the end of the final public performance. A fine of $30 will be assessed to individual who loses the folder or does not return folder promptly.
(updated July 6, 2012)